Skip to main content

The Simple, Painful Beauty of Lizzie McAlpine's "To the Mountains" (Music)

 

It’s April 5th, 2024, a rainy morning awaits outside my window. As I drag myself out of bed for the last day before the weekend, I must admit, I’m feeling sluggish. I’m practically sleepwalking through classes and meetings until I sit down to write. Why is there nothing in my brain? I pop in my AirPods, both of them even though the right one is useless, I do it mostly for the vibes or the hope I won’t be interrupted by people passing by my table. With one slight sound of a guitar, joy and a bit of sadness begin to paint my face as Lizzy McAlpine’s “To the Mountains” plays. This is what I will write about.


Today is no ordinary day for my sad boy music taste. It is the day that my favorite musician has released a brand new album, however I won’t listen to that for another few hours. I must wait for when I can go back to the solitude of my Lazy Boy chair and my Beats in the dark of my bedroom. For now I’ll settle with one of McAlpine's older tunes, a melancholy about finding solitude in what happens to be one of my favorite escapes, the mountains. It seems only right that this would be the tune for a rainy gloomy Friday. McAlpine’s music has almost always transported me as a listener to a whole new place while still making me feel every ounce of my actual life. In fact it was “To the Mountains” that introduced me to McAlpine in the first place. 

 

McAlpine’s song is beautiful and perfectly uncomplex; in fact, despite the array of instruments like violins, guitars, and a piano it is McAlpine’s voice and lyrics that stand above the rest. In the early stages of the song it shows its cards, verse one and two will give away what the entire song is trying to say. In this section McAlpine depicts that she is going to the mountains and tells someone basically to not try to get a hold of her. The listener quickly learns it’s because she needs time away for herself. The rhythm of the song takes something of a melancholy voicemail and you feel both for the sender and receiver of this message. 


As the song goes McAlpine crystallizes her feelings in the chorus which is the biggest departure from the typical beats of the song. In this she solidifies she needs to be alone. This pursuit of solitude is a result of who she is talking to, a person who has made her cry more times than she deserves, admittedly this is where we stop feeling so bad for whoever is the recipient of this message. She finishes the chorus with the line “I need to build myself a home.” Until this moment I wasn’t sure fully what this meant but I think she’s articulating the freedom that she needs, which may be represented by finding a new home away from the person who she once thought was her home. Perhaps it is the boldest step for anyone in life, to start anew.


In the outro however is where McAlpine truly thrives, reiterating her pursuit to the mountains. In this McAlpine finds herself almost building in confidence like this entire song has been an opportunity for her to work up the courage to speak her mind. In this case the singer's voice only grows in confidence through the outro with the last two lines cutting like a knife in the best possible way. There’s something of a peace to her voice, a calm confidence, and a finality in her decision to go and leave the toxic relationship or even world behind. It makes us kinda wish or reminisce we could or would have said that to someone,  “I’m headed to the mountains, don’t wait up for me.”


 Kaleb Unger


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Theaters Haven't Lost There Way, We Have (Movies)

           If you keep up to date with modern big business speak you may have just heard the term survive till 2025. This is an indication of a business in a bit of a panic with the slim hope of an optimistic future. The business is the movies, more specifically the business is movie theaters. Yes they still exist all around you and they are at war. The war isn’t being fought in the streets, it's being fought on picket lines and against your very home entertainment system. The one you say sounds just as good as the movie theater. Before you worry this is not an article of financial numbers, this is an article undeniably of feeling. Because that’s what movie houses are a place of feelings, numbers would just get in the way. To understand why movies find themselves in such turmoil it might be more important first to understand why the consumer has turned away from the stalwart of entertainment. Firstly there is simply an easier option, whether it’s netflix or paramount plus the opp

Every Projected Week 1 Starting Quarterback Ranked (Sports)

          The NFL season is here, today! So it’s time for my ranking. This is a ranking of each teams projected starting quarterback combining two factors. One being their performance leading up to this season in their respective career but most importantly the other being how well I think they are going to play going into the 2024-2025 season. 32. Daniel Jones  This is less of a statement on Jones and more on the team and organization around him. 31. Jacoby Brisset  A solid backup option that’s just holding time for Drake Maye and the rest of the young core. 30. Bo Nix  Maybe he is the next Drew Brees or maybe we should just let him be Bo Nix, a rookie coached by Sean Payton. 29. Gardner Minshew  This screams a 9-8 ceiling but he definitely brings that Raider mentality so I might be underestimating him. 28. Jayden Daniels   Very easily could be in the mid-low teens in no time but the Commanders need him to be special to erase the ghosts of Washington past. 27. Derek Carr It might be