Skip to main content

The Simple, Painful Beauty of Lizzie McAlpine's "To the Mountains" (Music)

 

It’s April 5th, 2024, a rainy morning awaits outside my window. As I drag myself out of bed for the last day before the weekend, I must admit, I’m feeling sluggish. I’m practically sleepwalking through classes and meetings until I sit down to write. Why is there nothing in my brain? I pop in my AirPods, both of them even though the right one is useless, I do it mostly for the vibes or the hope I won’t be interrupted by people passing by my table. With one slight sound of a guitar, joy and a bit of sadness begin to paint my face as Lizzy McAlpine’s “To the Mountains” plays. This is what I will write about.


Today is no ordinary day for my sad boy music taste. It is the day that my favorite musician has released a brand new album, however I won’t listen to that for another few hours. I must wait for when I can go back to the solitude of my Lazy Boy chair and my Beats in the dark of my bedroom. For now I’ll settle with one of McAlpine's older tunes, a melancholy about finding solitude in what happens to be one of my favorite escapes, the mountains. It seems only right that this would be the tune for a rainy gloomy Friday. McAlpine’s music has almost always transported me as a listener to a whole new place while still making me feel every ounce of my actual life. In fact it was “To the Mountains” that introduced me to McAlpine in the first place. 

 

McAlpine’s song is beautiful and perfectly uncomplex; in fact, despite the array of instruments like violins, guitars, and a piano it is McAlpine’s voice and lyrics that stand above the rest. In the early stages of the song it shows its cards, verse one and two will give away what the entire song is trying to say. In this section McAlpine depicts that she is going to the mountains and tells someone basically to not try to get a hold of her. The listener quickly learns it’s because she needs time away for herself. The rhythm of the song takes something of a melancholy voicemail and you feel both for the sender and receiver of this message. 


As the song goes McAlpine crystallizes her feelings in the chorus which is the biggest departure from the typical beats of the song. In this she solidifies she needs to be alone. This pursuit of solitude is a result of who she is talking to, a person who has made her cry more times than she deserves, admittedly this is where we stop feeling so bad for whoever is the recipient of this message. She finishes the chorus with the line “I need to build myself a home.” Until this moment I wasn’t sure fully what this meant but I think she’s articulating the freedom that she needs, which may be represented by finding a new home away from the person who she once thought was her home. Perhaps it is the boldest step for anyone in life, to start anew.


In the outro however is where McAlpine truly thrives, reiterating her pursuit to the mountains. In this McAlpine finds herself almost building in confidence like this entire song has been an opportunity for her to work up the courage to speak her mind. In this case the singer's voice only grows in confidence through the outro with the last two lines cutting like a knife in the best possible way. There’s something of a peace to her voice, a calm confidence, and a finality in her decision to go and leave the toxic relationship or even world behind. It makes us kinda wish or reminisce we could or would have said that to someone,  “I’m headed to the mountains, don’t wait up for me.”


 Kaleb Unger


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Russ Resurrected (Sports)

         About three years ago Russell Wilson was an unquestionable hall of fame player or at least just had to sustain a gradual decline into his twilight to get to the hallowed hall. Then things got sticky in Seattle and Russ once the toast of the town found himself steering his way to Denver. At first the voices were quiet, some Russ is a weird guy accusations and such but nothing extreme. Then things imploded in Denver and all the sudden it seemed to be time for everyone to get their lick in in on Russ. Prior teammates, current teammates, and the media all lined up to pour some more dirt on the career of the once MVP candidate Russell Wilson. When the team benched Russ, cut him, and payed him a ton of money to basically fuck off it was hard not to think the Russ of old was essentially dead along with his career. Russ semi-quietly found himself in Pittsburgh this last offseason. Him and youngster Justin Fields formed a qb room that could only be descri...

NBA Preseason Power Rankings (Sports)

          The NBA season starts next week and everyone here at Quad Culture is quite relieved to have the association back and dare I say better than ever. After a tremendous offseason of player movement and olympics it feels like the league is in the best place it’s been in from a competitive standpoint. So, here it is, the definitive preseason ranking of all 30 teams along with what to expect from them this upcoming season.   30. Wizards       The Wiz likely know they're going to loose, they except that but at least the hope at the end of the rainbow is the prize that is Cooper Flagg. 29. Nets      The Nets are all about the assets right now and by assets I mean draft picks, with guys like Johnson and Schroder expect the Nets to continue to be sellers and let Cam Thomas cook.  28. Hornets      The Hornets could easily be higher on this list if they find a sense of peace between Miller and Ba...